class tome education (possible spoliers)

Report bugs or suggest new features/improvements

class tome education (possible spoliers)

Postby Allanon » 19 Apr 2009 11:37

So I saved diligently and made a class tome out of a hollow book. And my reward was...

a 0-socket 2x2 charm that added +1 to dragon tail.

I've looked through the documentation, forum topics, etc., and I havent found any other indication of their usefulness (not giving up, but figured I'd post in case someone else knew already). Please tell me there's more to these things than +1 to a random skill? It cost 3 perfect demon/angel skulls, umpteen souls, and the several hours to hunt the aforementioned souls down.
Allanon

Re: class tome education (possible spoliers)

Postby Foerg » 19 Apr 2009 14:46

I also was pretty astonished when I made one and got a 2x2 charm with +1 to speed burst.
Neither did I found any other use for it, so please tell us if there's anything else to do with it demo9ne :biggrin:
Foerg

Postby Stormbringer » 19 Apr 2009 16:47

The funny thing is that in Median +1 to random class skill is the source of some of the most appalling abuses.

I suggest that rather than asking to be spoon-fed by the mod-maker, you come up with some ways of (ab)using this.

For instance, is the class skill marked as being for a specific class? Can you trade a
+1 fanaticism charm to a barb? Can you give golems to paladins?
Stormbringer

Postby SingInSilence » 19 Apr 2009 17:01

Immersion has no skill (grand) charms.
Class books are the only off-Equip way to increase skill-level.

Why complain?

Stormbringer wrote:For instance, is the class skill marked as being for a specific class? Can you trade a
+1 fanaticism charm to a barb? Can you give golems to paladins?

Class books (as hinted by their name) are +1 [Class Skill] (Class only).
They aren't oSkillers.
SingInSilence

Postby Cerepol » 19 Apr 2009 22:48

Sounds like a lategame farming item. Akin to Unique Charms from Median, like the one from the Valley of Snakes which does this exact same thing.
Cerepol

Postby Demon9ne » 20 Apr 2009 09:02

Allanon wrote: . . . umpteen souls, and the several hours to hunt the aforementioned souls down.

There are monsters out there with greater chances of dropping souls. Fallen, for instance.

SingInSilence wrote:Class books are the only off-Equip way to increase skill-level.

Actually, off the top...
Spoiler: show
Hollow Tome, with class gems inserted.

Foerg wrote:I also was pretty astonished when I made one and got a 2x2 charm with +1 to speed burst. Neither did I found any other use for it, so please tell us if there's anything else to do with it demo9ne

Contrary to a couple opinions here, Immersion's skill charms are still significantly breaking game balance. The fact that it's possible to have room for your cube and 14 class tomes (which could all add to the same skill) is testament to that.

Without giving anything away, I'd like to state that this could be a very moot point in the future. But in the present, I will tell you that I wish I'd thought to write a reagent/recipe to re-roll the skill.

Future class charms are likely to include other stat bonuses and penalties, but nothing concerning this feature is set in stone yet, so I invite everyone to leave their thoughts and opinions on the matter here. This is something I'd like to improve.
Thank you for reading the Forum Guidelines before posting.
Demon9ne
Site Admin

Postby kaineo » 20 Apr 2009 09:10

well then, its still not too late to add a 'reroll recipe' for the class tome is it?

maybe requires some uniques to be sacrificed for a reroll, ^^
kaineo

Postby Allanon » 20 Apr 2009 10:08

yeah--the randomness makes it harder to exploit, certainly. You'll never deter 100% of the people who would eventually break the game with something--they're going to put as much time as it takes into undoing your work. Apparently, for some, that is the game. It always struck me as annoying in other mods, because there was always someone, somewhere, with cheats and hacks that broke the mod, forcing the mod-maker to create endlessly complex cycles. Eventually, you end up with something that only hardcore psychopaths (no offense to anyone out there in the psychopathic community ;) ) can play.

Not saying Immersion has or will hit that point. My playing experience usually peters out around act 4 nightmare, because I have chronic video game ADD. So it might be easier than I imagined to start pumping out class tomes. +1 to one skill didn't seem like a big deal. (Particularly since it was a skill I couldn't even use)

Here's an idea--can you create a charm that gives +1 to a skill tree? Have it create an invisible aura effect, so that people can't stack more than one at a time (highest level of the same aura always takes priority, right?) THAT would make it so that the tome was much more likely to be of use, it would be harder to abuse, and if people didn't like the tree, it would still be worth going around and crafting a second tome.

Apologies for the randomness of my talking--it's really early.
Allanon

Postby Demon9ne » 20 Apr 2009 10:34

And now I'm no longer confused (about the discussion here about oskills)... That class tome should have had a bonus to a random skill of YOUR class. That's more than likely a bug, and I'll have to check my files to see just exactly how terrible of a bug it is.

The aura idea is a good one, but the problem is (without getting mod-technical) that this game was only built to handle x number of auras. Using up a slot for use on only one item tends to go against the greater good. :(

Edit:

After looking at everything on my end, I still can't confirm a bug. Can you post a screenshot of the item? (Not that it's guaranteed to do any good though.)

If anyone else has this problem, please mention it.
Thank you for reading the Forum Guidelines before posting.
Demon9ne
Site Admin

Postby SingInSilence » 20 Apr 2009 21:42

I've made 4 to date, (though I'm not sure if they were all in 1.04e, or if a couple were from 1.04b) 2 with a Paladin, 1 Necromancer, 1 Assassin.

All spawned as the correct class tome, and all with +1 <Class skill> (Class Only).

Did I misunderstand the question?
SingInSilence

Next

Return to Immersion: Feedback