Overall gameplay

Report bugs or suggest new features/improvements

Overall gameplay

Postby Phase » 18 Apr 2012 22:51

I have a barbarian for some times and I met a group of monsters which seemed almost impossible to my char. It is about a bunch of dark rangers (cold arrows) and brutes (with stun attack) right at the entrance of the Crystalline passage. The brutes keep stunning me while the archers do cold damage (I noticed cold slow effect is unusually stronger in this mod). Any advices of how I can kill those mobs? I can go past them, but then I met again brutes and archers, they are all over the cave.
At the moment I use bloodthirst in combination with Do undo skill (it's my only choice, double swing does too little damage, frenzy has too mana cost, not like it could do something better and whirlwind again much mana cost and however all of them are based on weapon damage, which is ridiculously low in comparison with the monsters' life). So do undo is the only skill that offers a bit of more damage if I have 1 hp with bloodthirst on me.
I understand this mod is made to be more difficult, but I doubt that I can actually do something at nightmare after I barely finish normal difficulty (I met problematic monsters all over normal, but those are the worst combination in the worst environment), I can barely have any fun if I am dying over and over again while the loot is seemingly weak and the gold amount is pretty low while a potion costs 500 gold (and a normal armor costs 200, lol) and I doubt the mod is going to get any easier.
I pose a question about the release of the new version only because I thought you will balance some things and release the other 5 classes (maybe barbarian doesn't fit for me, but it was my best class in all other mods and in clod) that may be better for me (for example shuriken sin, it was excellent in previous versions).
I was playing the same version about 1 year ago, but then I didn't give a decent feedback, this is better. I keep quiting this mod and I keep coming because I wanna see the old 1.03 version or a similar one but with new things in it, the same version where I had the most fun in this mod and maybe even in this game ever. Please try make this mod easier somehow for the general public, because most players don't like such a high degree of difficulty (kinda few people around, isn't it?). I may think you did this mod only for your enjoying (and maybe some other 2-3 people).. This may be one of my last arrivals around this mod.
User avatar
Phase
 
Posts: 44
Joined: 29 Jan 2011 22:24

Re: Overall gameplay

Postby Demon9ne » 19 Apr 2012 07:14

Sorry to hear you're having a problem. Balance, tbh, is secondary to adding features. Most people play mods for new features over balance. (Balance-based mods are notoriously ignored for some reason.)

I can offer you some advice, but without your build posted, it'll be very unspecific:
- If you're being frozen, thawing potions.
- If you have Bloodthirst, use it immediately before falling back on other skills. Hotkey it.
- Don't fight huge groups when you can help it. Use Leap (1 skill point) to split them up. Fall back when you can.
- Get a disable of your own to use against stunning/freezing enemies. For a dual-wielder, perhaps swords with Freezing Attack (and there's a reagent that adds this property).
- If you're having problems with mana, get some Mana Stolen per Hit or Mana per Kill.

Economy in Immersion, like the enemies, is rough. (And before I forget, which would you rather have IRL, a beverage that closes your wounds, or a bulletproof vest?) Save your gold. Maybe do some tower runs (gold and runes).

Thanks for playing (since v1.03!) and leaving feedback.
Thank you for reading the Forum Guidelines before posting.
User avatar
Demon9ne
Site Admin
 
Posts: 336
Joined: 02 Feb 2009 03:01
Location: Illinois, USA

Re: Overall gameplay

Postby Phase » 19 Apr 2012 09:52

Demon9ne wrote:Sorry to hear you're having a problem. Balance, tbh, is secondary to adding features. Most people play mods for new features over balance. (Balance-based mods are notoriously ignored for some reason.)

I can offer you some advice, but without your build posted, it'll be very unspecific:
- If you're being frozen, thawing potions.
- If you have Bloodthirst, use it immediately before falling back on other skills. Hotkey it.
- Don't fight huge groups when you can help it. Use Leap (1 skill point) to split them up. Fall back when you can.
- Get a disable of your own to use against stunning/freezing enemies. For a dual-wielder, perhaps swords with Freezing Attack (and there's a reagent that adds this property).
- If you're having problems with mana, get some Mana Stolen per Hit or Mana per Kill.

Economy in Immersion, like the enemies, is rough. (And before I forget, which would you rather have IRL, a beverage that closes your wounds, or a bulletproof vest?) Save your gold. Maybe do some tower runs (gold and runes).

Thanks for playing (since v1.03!) and leaving feedback.


-I usually use thawing potions, but in this case doesn't really help cause there are a lot of archers that are constantly freezing me at very short interval of times.
-I always use bloodthirst and I have it binded on hotkey. I have all usable skills binded.
-I try to avoid huge groups when I can, but usually I get rushed. Even leap can't help here since if I get 1 stun, then I'm stun locked with archers behind them till death.
-I still didn't found the regeant with freezing attack, but if I find it I don't have any good weapon to put it on, so it would be more of a waste. No good weapons to be found, gamble doesn't offer either.
-I have a lot of mana after each kill, but the monsters hp is very high and I can barely kill some till I run out of mana totally. Fallen in act 5 are however a source of mana, but if I was able to kill that brutes pack I wouldn't be complaining in the first place. Mana stolen per hit doesn't seem to work with Do undo attack, and with dual swing it is unnoticeable because I have low damage.

Gold may not be a problem anymore since I have pledge of provision and a lot of gold find from gear (273% in total). But I don't know what to do with it.

Also I noticed those gem chests at merchant that are opened with keys. It says it holds random gems, but so far they all give 3 normal hand axes (I may think this is not an available feature yet).

Some skills seems to not work. For example the weapon specializations don't add any attack rating or damage on the character screen. It may only be a visual bug, but I can't know.

Some other skills are unusually strange, such the skill that grants 1% attack speed per base point. I don't see it's use, since you need a lot more to break the as caps. The same goes for the 1% uninterruptible attack per base point and that collateral damage 1% cleave damage.

Edit: Once new features are added into a mod, the balance between those should be the first problem, in my opinion, since it is meaningless if you add new features if a pack of monsters kills you in no time (unless the new features help somehow in this case).

I can play as much as I can, but I hope things will get easier as I get new and better items. Btw, does Plethoria of pockets still exists? That armor was excellent :D

Also, I finished normal difficulty. It seems that minions of destruction have around 1-2 damage. They didn't hurt my barbarian at all. I think you should take a look.

1 more question: Does the character screen actually work? It says I have 200 attack rating and a 95% chance to hit most of the monsters, but I actually miss very often. Same with the defense, 5% to be hit and monsters have quite a high chance to hit me.

Also, is there something wrong with Talic ancient? It has way too much defense, I can barely hit him at all (and the character screen shows 95% chance to hit, but I think this doesn't apply for bosses, does it?). I had to respec to Burning cry skill (forgot the exact name) to kill him (and still very slowly).

Take your time to answer.
User avatar
Phase
 
Posts: 44
Joined: 29 Jan 2011 22:24

Re: Overall gameplay

Postby Demon9ne » 19 Apr 2012 21:55

To address some of your concerns:

Phase wrote:-I usually use thawing potions, but in this case doesn't really help cause there are a lot of archers that are constantly freezing me at very short interval of times.

Phase wrote:-I have a lot of mana after each kill, but the monsters hp is very high and I can barely kill some till I run out of mana totally. Fallen in act 5 are however a source of mana, but if I was able to kill that brutes pack I wouldn't be complaining in the first place. Mana stolen per hit doesn't seem to work with Do undo attack, and with dual swing it is unnoticeable because I have low damage.


Get higher Cold Resistance and Half Freeze Duration or Cannot Be Frozen to deal with the Cold mobs. For the Brutes, take note of the text under their lifebars; they're supposed to hurt, but they have a weakness you can exploit. Find and use some items with Mana Stolen per Hit instead of Mana per Kill for bigger enemies like those.

Phase wrote:-I still didn't found the regeant with freezing attack, but if I find it I don't have any good weapon to put it on, so it would be more of a waste. No good weapons to be found, gamble doesn't offer either.


Your definition of a "good weapon" is likely different than mine (note: my DW Barb's good weapons were tempered swords). Putting that aside, I'd like to mention that the gambling chance to get better items (rare/unique/set) is actually higher in Immersion than in vanilla LoD.

Phase wrote:Also I noticed those gem chests at merchant that are opened with keys. It says it holds random gems, but so far they all give 3 normal hand axes (I may think this is not an available feature yet).


This is a bug, which I fixed for the next version.

Phase wrote:Some skills seems to not work. For example the weapon specializations don't add any attack rating or damage on the character screen. It may only be a visual bug, but I can't know.


The weapon specialization skills are also bugged, but fixed already for the next version.

Phase wrote:Some other skills are unusually strange, such the skill that grants 1% attack speed per base point. I don't see it's use, since you need a lot more to break the as caps. The same goes for the 1% uninterruptible attack per base point and that collateral damage 1% cleave damage.


The attack speed passive will be gone (replaced by a new skill) in the next version. The latter skill is staying put though, I believe.

Phase wrote:Btw, does Plethoria of pockets still exists?


Yes. =D

Phase wrote:Also, I finished normal difficulty. It seems that minions of destruction have around 1-2 damage. They didn't hurt my barbarian at all. I think you should take a look.


Looking into this. Thanks for the heads up.

Phase wrote:Does the character screen actually work? It says I have 200 attack rating and a 95% chance to hit most of the monsters, but I actually miss very often. Same with the defense, 5% to be hit and monsters have quite a high chance to hit me.


It ought to. Although 95% chance to hit assumes an enemy doesn't dodge the attack, keep that in mind. The 5% to be hit is likely wrong, and I'll have a look at it, but I can't guarantee I can fix it (the vanilla character screen wasn't originally coded very well...).

Phase wrote:Also, is there something wrong with Talic ancient? It has way too much defense, I can barely hit him at all (and the character screen shows 95% chance to hit, but I think this doesn't apply for bosses, does it?). I had to respec to Burning cry skill (forgot the exact name) to kill him (and still very slowly).


The Ancients are badasses in Immersion, and unlike vanilla LoD, the area level increases the second you hit Arreat Summit, so they're even stronger than expected. The entirety of the game in Immersion is a steep climb in Area Level. (I don't believe Talic is bugged.)
Thank you for reading the Forum Guidelines before posting.
User avatar
Demon9ne
Site Admin
 
Posts: 336
Joined: 02 Feb 2009 03:01
Location: Illinois, USA

Re: Overall gameplay

Postby Phase » 19 Apr 2012 23:33

I was going to ask you increase the chance of sets / uniques and rares at gamble and also raise their cost. I stayed around 1 hour to gamble that plethoria of pockets with 100k gold (around 60 armors), still no luck. The problem would not be the back luck, but the time I lost gambling. And actually as a matter of luck, I only got 1-2 rare armors. If I recall correctly, the gambling system is almost identical with the clod one, are you sure it is changed? Because I could find better items from a bunch of 60 armors. Higher prices with better chance will cover this issue I think, waiting for your opinion.
My weapon is not a problem anymore, however it is less relevant now since my main skill is do undo attack now, I don't have dual wield anymore (wearing 3/6 of sigons with shield). However I have a crushing blow weapon (33% from Crushflance) and it helps with bosses, because do undo attack kills the pack of mobs.
Also I have found the freeze target regeant, however not relevant now.
Some other issue I have encountered earlier but I didn't complain about is the oblivion knight in the diablo sanctuary. Those guys may be not dangerous with their bone prison, but they hold you in place so storm casters can mana burn you to 0 mana, leaving you vurnerable (especially for my barbarian build, even with mana potions my mana remains 0 and the town portal is summoned too far cause of the crowded place with bone prisons, I just have to live trough the remaining of the last bloodthirst and then I die for sure).
Another thing is the /players 1-8 command. Is this going to be reimplemented? It is very useful to find trash items that may be needed in some cases (socketed items / magic stuff / gold) and also a very nice experience boost.
One more thing, the secret cow level is hardly reachable because it requires a rare jewel to make a tome of town portal and you hardly find a jewel to make it. Is there any recipe from which you can form a rare jewel with more magic ones? It would be nice, if you consider this a good idea I would like to ask you to implement it so we can access secret level easier.
LE: I went to secret "drow" level and it seems the loot is not so great for 120% magic find (got at most a couple of rares). However I didn't manage to find the boss or I killed him without noticing. The boss still exists?
User avatar
Phase
 
Posts: 44
Joined: 29 Jan 2011 22:24

Re: Overall gameplay

Postby Demon9ne » 20 Apr 2012 18:57

The /players command is not coming back any time soon. I want everyone to be playing the same version of the mod, so to speak.

Chaos Sanctuary is intentionally really tough (but the rewards are good).

The boss in the secret level should always spawn at the southernmost point of the map. Not sure why he wouldn't.

I may have misspoke about gambling before. I think the increased chance of rare/set/unique items is only higher than vanilla on Nightmare and Hell difficulties. In any case, I'll have a look at it.

A rare jewel is the quest reward for rescuing Cain, but I'll see if I can find a fair way to implement a new chance to obtain one (a new recipe or enemy or something).

Good feedback. Appreciate it.
Thank you for reading the Forum Guidelines before posting.
User avatar
Demon9ne
Site Admin
 
Posts: 336
Joined: 02 Feb 2009 03:01
Location: Illinois, USA

Re: Overall gameplay

Postby Phase » 20 Apr 2012 20:04

I gambled 200k gold on nightmare as well, it seems that it is not much different, maybe some more rares but no unique or set item yet.
I was thinking if you can make a skill that actually drain life (or a similar effect) so this would be a synergy with do undo attack and bloodthirst, as you said you can place it in the skill you're going to delete.
I looked trough the documentation at cube recipes. It was a recipe there that allowed you to create a rare ring from 5 magic rings or a rare amulet in the same way. It seems that it doesn't work anymore. Am I missing something or the recipe was removed?
I just found a crash issue: When you try to put leaper egg in the belt socket (the one that regenerates you 100% hp instantly) it crashes the game. Apparently I thought that I could put it near the potions so I can use it later.
Also take a look on the claw viper's attack speed and damage, in 5 charges I'm knocked out (with 1600 hp). Staying against the wall doesn't help too much, cause I get locked in hit recovery animation and die eventually.
User avatar
Phase
 
Posts: 44
Joined: 29 Jan 2011 22:24

Re: Overall gameplay

Postby Phase » 24 Apr 2012 14:09

Can you tell me what the fuck is this shit?
I haven't got so pissed off in a long time on a game. I am stunned to death by those brutes that are surrounding me all the times cause the entire area is filled with them. Care to fix them, or should I just go with [Reference to cheat removed] 503252959245% run speed and get the fuck out of there without giving a shit? This should do actually.
Image
And why is this runeword so weak? It is the way it should be or you forgot to add the additional mods?
Image
I really got pissed off badly because I am stuck at that area.
User avatar
Phase
 
Posts: 44
Joined: 29 Jan 2011 22:24

Re: Overall gameplay

Postby Phase » 26 Apr 2012 13:01

What can you tell about the Pledges mechanism? I have 400 mana but my magic find doesn't climb up to more than 300. It counts only base mana? If so, how come I have a 56 mana amulet and I receive only 30 magic find?
Also what about the Gheed's scavenger hunts? When I have access to all of them? And what about the jewelry box? It is a world drop or I have to make it somehow?
And the last question, The ancestor's light unique statuette says it can be improved by the secret recipes - can you tell me anything about this? I can't figure anything out.
User avatar
Phase
 
Posts: 44
Joined: 29 Jan 2011 22:24

Re: Overall gameplay

Postby Demon9ne » 26 Apr 2012 23:07

First thing's first:

I'm single-handedly designing and developing a mod for a game released about 11 years ago. The mod encompasses virtually every aspect of the game: monsters, levels, classes, items, stats, graphics, interfaces; you name it... And you post here that "Waaaaah yetis are too hard, I'm going to cheat!" like I intentionally designed the whole mod just to trap you at that part.

Well, news-flash: I did. You figured it out. Operation: Yeti Beatdown is a shining success.

In seriousness, I've reduced yeti spawning from groups of 3-8 to groups of 3-5 based on your feedback, because you have a good point, despite your tone.

Other stuff:

- Pledges are broken. Should be fixed already for the next version.
- Magic/Rare jewelry re-roll recipes will be included in the next version.
- I'm going to fix the Leaper Egg bug when I'm done typing this reply. Good catch.
- Ancestor's Light hint:
Spoiler: show
Ancestor's Light + (a reagent) = Modified Ancestor's Light

- Don't make the class-related belt runewords. They're apparently bugged. (Fixing this now.)
- Gheed sells new scavenger hunts on Nightmare and Hell difficulties.
- The Jewelry box is a rare global drop.
Thank you for reading the Forum Guidelines before posting.
User avatar
Demon9ne
Site Admin
 
Posts: 336
Joined: 02 Feb 2009 03:01
Location: Illinois, USA

Next

Return to Immersion: Feedback

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests