cLoD: First and Last Impressions

Discuss the Diablo series and/or any other mods

cLoD: First and Last Impressions

Postby Demon9ne » 10 Dec 2009 16:49

I theorize that we're all playing (or in some cases developing) mods because way-back-when our patience for the original wore out. I'm wondering what caused other people to lose faith in cLoD. Or do you still play the "vanilla" version? Personally, I was driven off by the combination of a lack of inventory space and the lack of support (to fix the duplicate-rune-based economy of battle.net).

Most players/devs who I've spoken with on the matter can relate fond impressions of the game that were eventually dashed for one reason or another. So what was it you liked most about the original and what was it that eventually snuffed out your devotion to it?
Thank you for reading the Forum Guidelines before posting.
Demon9ne
Site Admin

Re: cLoD: First and Last Impressions

Postby White » 11 Dec 2009 07:27

I've ran through Diablo 2 countless times. The new content adds new horizons.
White

Postby Demon9ne » 15 Dec 2009 03:13

Of course. But if you stopped playing the original, why?
Thank you for reading the Forum Guidelines before posting.
Demon9ne
Site Admin

Postby SogaCal » 27 Dec 2009 09:53

Oh Lord I could start anywhere. The game became so boring I ended up hanging out with hacking clans and showing them that manipulating player accounts was quicker than using a brute force program (My Father is a damn good salesman, as am I. ;) ) What this means is I would lure someone offering to help people out and congradulate them for their contribution to the community and offer for them to join my new clan. My "new clan" would provide players with basic sets and SoJs providing they returned them and had a high enough "ladder ranking" which could only be seen if you pressed the gem in chat which enabled secondary commands and typed in /dnd password *accountname (warning them to add the * or else it would screw up the command and just show their password and account name of course, which is what it does regardless) then whisper them pretending that they were on my friends list and have an imaginary conversation with the clan leader convincing him that they should join regardless of the fact they were not able to. Please do not repeat this tactic as it's cruel to take someones hard earned account. =/

Anywho, account space, lack of shared banking, and overall poor maintenance did it in for me, along with the lack of people to play with. I have played on Battle.net actively from Aug 21st 2000 until some time in 2003 I believe, at which time I sparsely returned for years to come as all the people I used to play with quit or moved on in some way. If you ever played Starcraft and enjoyed the Bound obstacle courses, you may thank me later for founding the clan which made them. ;) Or my own Mind Control Defense. Obviously you have seen my long posts of problems which I have, which are more or less meant to be aimed at Blizzards Diablo 2 division and it's inability to make this like vanilla WoW (which in a D2 aesthetic would rule, as long as the French (Vivendi) don't get their filthy and cowardly hands on it again...)
SogaCal

Postby Torzacirox00 » 28 May 2010 02:47

For me, even though I have NEVER gotten past the battle with Diablo, the normal game just got boring. I like Immersion since it adds qualities without changing the story much. It just makes the normal game cooler!
"Come and bite me, if you dare. I'll beat you down with my garlic stare!"
-AJ and Me
Torzacirox00

Postby wopsh » 27 Aug 2010 03:35

Immersion is really well done. Vanilla just isn't as fun. I tend to powerlevel my chars a bit and don't have much flexibility in vanilla builds because so so many vanilla skills don't work in late game.
wopsh

Return to Diablo I, II, III