Announcing the Melnibone Mod (in development)

Discuss the Diablo series and/or any other mods

Announcing the Melnibone Mod (in development)

Postby Stormbringer » 01 Apr 2009 15:19

This is a balance Mod with the following features:
no +skills on gear (too hard to balance).
most uniques and runewords toned down (dramatically)
most rune bonuses cranked up to compensate
uniques renamed to rares, and rares renamed to uniques (when was the last time you saw two rares that were the same?).

Reduction in item types (how many different kinds of sword and polearm do you need anyway)
May drastically reduce number of class weapons (e.g. claws) - this is to free up item states for later on.

Other item changes to drastically reduce benefit of using BugY (e.g. recipe to convert one set item into another set item of your choice). Mac users rejoice.
Also recipes to convert runes and gems into other forms of equipment.
Prefix and Suffix pool twiddled to de-emphasise gear based ED%.
No ethereals (they are too easily broken)

Drastically reduce sources of poison as poison is one of the harder things to balance
Add magic damage to end of act bosses attacks to make them a challenge again

Increase level requirements for skills from 1,6,12,18,24,30 to 10,20,30,40,50,60
Diminishing returns on most skills beyond 10 points invested (to encourage variety)
except on especially under-utilised skills (Holy Bolt, Teeth, Magic Arrow, Bash, Inner Sight etc)

Mercs crippled - actually force people to play the game themselves (considering drastically boosting their defense/tankage and in compensation radically reducing their offensive capabilities, and giving them a speed penalty)

The following class changes

Sorceror
renamed to Magician because noone can spell Sercerer properly
reshuffle synergies to benefit skills which are currently not used:
e.g. Hydra, Blaze, Inferno, Frost Nova, Thunderstorm, Lightning, Telekinesis
at the expense of spells which are over used:
e.g. Blizzard, Meteor, Frozen Orb
Fire Bolt, Ice Bolt, Charged Bolt all to leave trails of elemental damage
Chain Lightning replaced by Chaos Lightning
Cold Armours significantly beefed up

Assassin
renamed to Ninja, because that is what they really are
most charge up skills effective at 2 charges for maximum benefit to encourage dual claw wielding
Blade Sentinel renamed to Boomerang and damage increased (both flat and %)
All Sentries/Wakes except Lightning and Death greatly improved
Synergies moved around to de-emphasize Lightning and Death Sentry
Mind Blast and Psychic Hammer cross synergizing (and Psychic Hammer greatly improved, spawns Blessed Hammers on hit)
Venom replaced Poison damage with rainbow damage and renamed to Fluffy Bunnies
Base run/walk speed of Ninja greatly reduced (it is hard to be sneaky when running) to make Burst of Speed more attractive
Blade Shield pulse frequency to increase with more skill points

Druid
renamed to Vampire
Raven animations replaced with Bats
Bear replaced with Hell Hound
Shape Shifting tab renamed to Gangrel etc
Elemental Tab radically redone to fit Vampire theme (may 'borrow' ideas from some other mods for this) e.g. Blood Spells which cost life to cast
Combat skills to emphasize life leech, open wounds and other blood related abilities
Various creepers/vines to spawn effects (weaken, life tap and lower resist respectively) and you can have more than one creeper at a time
Spirit of Barbs greatly increased to match improvements to Thorns and Iron Maiden

Paladin
Pulsing auras to only effect different monster types, e.g. Sanctuary - Undead, Holy Freeze - Demons, Holy Fire - animals etc
Same with combat spells, e.g. Holy Bolt - undead, Blessed Hammer - demons (only!), Fist of the Heavens (everything else)
Defensive synergies boosted (Defiance gets synergy from other Defensive Auras)
Might provides flat damage bonus (but removed from Act II merc) as synergy from other Offensive auras
Sacrifice to receive bonus elemental damage as synergy from other combat skills
Thorns receives a boost to match improvements to Iron Maiden
nb: most Paladin auras removed from equipment
Drastically increase duration of Conversion

Amazon
Turn Guided Arrow/Pierce combo back on because that rocked
Rename Lightning Strike to Chaos Strike - also Increase number of missiles spawned and reduce ND
Return Plague Javelin to increasing radius with extra skill points
Lightning Bolt to spawn Lightning Walls perpendicular to its flight path
Rearrange dependencies so that Lightning and Poison Javelin skills are independent
Decoy to pulse Attract on random target

Barbarian
Leap renamed Jump Jets
Leap Attack renamed Death From Above (Battletech players represent!)
Tweak throwing to improve it because it looks good
Also increase duration of Frenzy because when it wears off so quickly it is annoying

Necromancer
Combat Benefits when using wands
Summoning Tab renamed to Accio
# of Skeletons and Mages returned to 1 per point
Iron Maiden renamed to Crucio and combos turned back on (because IM rules)
Summon Golems renamed to Expecto Patronus
Bone Spirit renamed to Avada Kedavra
Corpse Explosion renamed to Confringo
Confusion renamed to Confundo
I will do something to Bone Armour make it worthwhile putting points into
etc
Stormbringer

Re: Announcing the Melnibone Mod (in development)

Postby SingInSilence » 01 Apr 2009 19:44

If the point of this thread was just to be an announcement, please ignore this post :P

If it was posted to garner feedback, carry on.

Stormbringer wrote:no +skills on gear (too hard to balance).
most uniques and runewords toned down (dramatically)
most rune bonuses cranked up to compensate
uniques renamed to rares, and rares renamed to uniques (when was the last time you saw two rares that were the same?).

Sounds interesting.
I particularly liked Rare <-> Unique.

Stormbringer wrote:Reduction in item types (how many different kinds of sword and polearm do you need anyway)
May drastically reduce number of class weapons (e.g. claws) - this is to free up item states for later on.

+1 to the 1st.

My problem with class-specific items:
They're generally markedly better then any 'equivalent' item.
And since D2 is all about maxmaxmaxing your capabilities, any non-class-specific goes unused, contributing to #1.

Stormbringer wrote:Other item changes to drastically reduce benefit of using BugY (e.g. recipe to convert one set item into another set item of your choice).

Imba?
Drop-rate aside, there's the issue of base-item drops, in the first place.
Unless I'm mis-reading is, this would make that a non-issue, for better or worse.

Stormbringer wrote:No ethereals

Really? I thought they were hardcoded to 0.5% (iirc).

Stormbringer wrote:Increase level requirements for skills from 1,6,12,18,24,30 to 10,20,30,40,50,60

Personally, I don't like this.
Actually, I dislike level-locks in general.
(They detract from (any) game, imho.
i.e. "Phew! That monster / quest / boss was tough!
But I got it! ^_^
And, hey! Look at this amazing weapon / armor / spell that I got from it!
Which I can't use?!")

Of course, they're there to counter twinking.

Back on topic:
So, assuming clvl 99 as max, you've gone through 2/3 of the game with a crippled skill-set?
I mean,
    if the higher-tier skills are wa-a-a-ay better then the lower ones, the lower ones will be eclipsed (see <Element> bolt).
    And (unless you advocate using PlugY's respec,) since # points in a skill =/= # points in synergy, (especially without +skills) you're basically "dooming" any player, to play through the game with 1pt.ers.
    Not my idea of a good time.

Which would leave you the sticky proposition of trying to make them just enough better they they're worth using: Not so much better that they eclipse the lower tier skills, but not not-better-enough, which, combined with the lateness at which you gain access to them, will lead to their being ignored.

Stormbringer wrote:Diminishing returns on most skills beyond 10 points invested (to encourage variety)
except on especially under-utilised skills (Holy Bolt, Teeth, Magic Arrow, Bash, Inner Sight etc)

This may counteract my above sentiments, but I'd have to see it in-game to get an idea of it.

Stormbringer wrote:Mercs crippled

This is good.
Since Merc AI is stupid, it's a numbers game.
Either the merc is strong enough to tank / kill / survive the monsters - in which case you need do nothing but wait - or it isn't, in which case, wth is it there except as a gold-sink? (In which case people will just not use mercs).

Also: a2 merc auras?

Stormbringer wrote:Sorceror
renamed to Magician because noone can spell Sercerer properly

:P

Stormbringer wrote:reshuffle synergies to benefit skills which are currently not used,
at the expense of spells which are over used.

Good in concept.
Good luck making it work.

Stormbringer wrote:most charge up skills effective at 2 charges for maximum benefit to encourage dual claw wielding
Blade Sentinel renamed to Boomerang and damage increased (both flat and %)

1st - Interesting, but I'm not sure it's a good move.
(Again, eclipsing other skills)
Boomerangs? On a Ninja? O.o

Stormbringer wrote:Base run/walk speed of Ninja greatly reduced (it is hard to be sneaky when running) to make Burst of Speed more attractive

Meh, tell that to my Silent Running feat! :P

Stormbringer wrote:Blade Shield pulse frequency to increase with more skill points

This is probably good.

Stormbringer wrote:Shape Shifting tab renamed to Gangrel etc

Woot! V:tM!
kinda mixing your metaphors / genres, though. No?

Stormbringer wrote:... Blood Spells which cost life to cast

FYI, (in case you don't,) unless you're planning on using the Bloodmana state, *which makes all skills cast life instead of mana,* the only simple missile and novas can have lifedrain attached to them, afaik.

Stormbringer wrote:Combat skills to emphasize life leech, open wounds and other blood related abilities

The problem with OW is that its damage is hard-coded, and sucks.
But, it disables monster regen, so it's not a total loss.

Stormbringer wrote:Paladin
Pulsing auras to only effect different monster types, e.g. Sanctuary - Undead, Holy Freeze - Demons, Holy Fire - animals etc

Interesting, but I'm not sure if good.
=> Leads to greater soecialization -> More skillpoints required to be globally effective. 20 skillpoints * ? monster-types vs. 121 skillpoints?

Stormbringer wrote:Might provides flat damage bonus (but removed from Act II merc)

Be advised: +%EWD multiplies flat damage.

Stormbringer wrote:Barbarian
Leap renamed Jump Jets
Leap Attack renamed Death From Above (Battletech players represent!)

:twisted:

Stormbringer wrote:Combat Benefits when using wands

Base damage? (Yesss, I saw about twiddling the affixes. Still and all...)

Stormbringer wrote:# of Skeletons and Mages returned to 1 per point

Sprite limit? (8 sprites per skeleton, iirc.)

lol at Harry Potter conversion.

Stormbringer wrote:I will do something to Bone Armour make it worthwhile putting points into
etc

Self synergy -> Increasing returns. ?
SingInSilence

Postby Demon9ne » 02 Apr 2009 20:14

I fully endorse this project but could you add health orbs like D3 and also please rename "level" to "awesomeness" so when I'm describing my character to people they know what's up.
Thank you for reading the Forum Guidelines before posting.
Demon9ne
Site Admin

Postby White » 08 Sep 2009 09:31

Demon9ne wrote:please rename "level" to "awesomeness" so when I'm describing my character to people they know what's up.

Yesss! Haha!

I agree with level-locking nonsense. bah!
With Immersion, I play a crippled character and save all my skill points, and pour my stats into energy, so in mid-teens I can get awesome abilities.
I like being able to do that.
White

Return to Diablo I, II, III